Considering enrolling in a traditional Masters or Doctor degree program in Psychology? If you are, you may want to consider that many people are opting for a school that provides the opportunity to start a private practice counseling career without the 8 to 10 years it takes to become a Psychologist.
How you ask? Well, in just one year of in-person accredited hypnotherapy training and clinical internship you could begin a private practice under an exemption in California's psychology licensing law as a Certified Hypnotherapist.
To become a Psychologist, California law requires a Doctorate Degree in Psychology plus an additional 3,000 hours of supervised experience. This requirement equates to 8 years of full time education and then another 3 to 4 years of non-paid internship.
Tuition for most Universities has skyrocketed in recent years and can easily reach $50,000 to $100,000 for graduate level degrees. For most adults who do not already have a Degree in Psychology, going back to school full time, for that many years, is both physically and financially impossible.
The exemption provided to Hypnotherapists gives many mature adults an easier entry into the counseling arts at a professional level. The exemption is found in California's Business and Professions Code 2908. It states that Hypnotherapists are exempt from psychology licensing law to practice "vocational and avocational self-improvement counseling" as long as it does not constitute "therapy for emotional or mental disorders."
The American Psychiatric Association estimates that about 15% of the population suffers from "emotional or mental disorders." What about the other 85% who just want to overcome their fear of public speaking, or improve their sports performance? What if their goal is to motivate themselves to prepare for a big exam, or to be more successful in their career? Which counseling professional should they choose?
"Helping others to increase motivation, build confidence, and reduce stress; there's just no end to the increasing demand for that service," states George Kappas, MA, LMFT, Director of the Hypnosis Motivation Institute (HMI) in Tarzana, California.
HMI, the country's FIRST Nationally Accredited School of Hypnotherapy, transforms caring adults into Certified Hypnotherapists. HMI's college offers evening classes and a clinical internship that allow students to continue to work full time in their "traditional" jobs, while starting a private practice helping others.
HMI's internship program provides students the opportunity to earn while they learn and begin their private practices in a supervised setting at the HMI clinical facilities. HMI's Residency Program also offers additional certification programs in NLP and Therapeutic Imagery as well as a wide variety of continuing education courses for HMI Graduates.
HMI's college even provides students the opportunity to start their training for no risk, just to be sure that hypnotherapy training is in fact, right for them. If they find it is right for them, eligible students can start their training for no money down and no payments for 18 months. That gives them 6 months of internship and 6 months after graduation before they make their first tuition payment.
With some HMI graduates charging $75.00 to $100.00 per hour for their services, you can see how this educational investment has the potential to pay for itself many times over.
So, still thinking about that 8 to 10 years of traditional psychology school? Modern times require modern strategies. Maybe you should consider a private practice in Hypnotherapy and HMI's offer to start your training with our risk free enrollment offer.
HMI Training Sneak Preview: Get an inside look into training at HMI. One of the unique features of HMI’s training is that we do LIVE therapy with REAL clients right in the classroom. These are not students, they have never been hypnotized before and they get free therapy from HMI by doing it in the classroom for our students to see. Previewing these classes will show you what training at HMI is like, what people seek hypnotherapy for, how people respond to hypnosis, how effective hypnotherapy can be, and what skill set you want to achieve to become a successful Hypnotherapist.
Prerequisite Lesson: Because we want to get right into the art and science of how to hypnotize, we ask that before you begin your HMI course, you complete this 40 minute, prerequisite lesson on the History of Hypnosis, it's free online.
Celebrating more than 50 years of excellence, we are happy to chat with you on the phone to answer any questions you might have and help you discover how HMI can help you achieve your personal and professional goals.
Diploma in Hypnotherapy